Skip to main content

English For Communication(Eng. Ed. 423)- B.Ed. Second Year, TU

 

Specification Chart

Question types

Total questions

Number of questions to be answered and marks

MCQs

14

14×1=14

Short questions

6+3 extra

6×7=42

Long questions

2+1 extra

2×12=24

Total Marks

80

 

Unit I: Introduction (10)

v What is communication?

ü The term 'communication' refers to the process of exchanging a message between the participants.

ü It is the process of exchanging ideas, thoughts, facts, feelings, emotions, and experiences between people.

ü It is used to express our inner purposes, attitudes, feelings, and to describe events. The message is transmitted from the communicator (sender) to the receiver in communication.

ü "Communication is the act of transmitting information." –Amber

ü  There are mainly two types of communication: personal communication and mass communication.

ü One the basis of the way of communication, there are two types of communication: verbal communication and non-verbal communication.

Verbal communication

Non-verbal communication

Communication done through language or speech  tool is called verbal communication.

Communication done through non-verbal tools such as gestures, postures, facial expressions, touch, smell, etc. is called non-verbal communication.

 

ü Five sensory moods of human communication:

Sense organs

Functions

Media

eye

seeing

visual

ear

hearing

aural

nose

smelling

olfactory

tongue

tasting

gustatory

skin

touching

tactile

 

1.1Functions of Language

The purposes for which language is used called language function. We communicate keep some purpose in mind. For instance: greeting, welcoming, announcing, congratulating, etc. are language functions.

1.1.1    Formality of Expressions/Language: On the basis of formality, language can be classified into three types: informal, neutral and formal.

v Factors determining the formality of language:

a.     Setting: It refers to the place and occasion (time) of using language. For instance, at office, at the bus park, at the marriage ceremony, etc.

b.    Topic: It refers to the subject-matter for using language. For instance, talking about marriage, delivering speech about country's economic policy, etc.

c.      Participants' social relationship: The relationship of the participants also determines the formality of language.  For instance, the student uses formal language while talking to his teacher whereas two friends use informal language at the picnic.

d.    Speaker's psychological attitude: Formality of language is determined by how the speaker feels about the topic or the person he is talking to. When the topic is serious, he may use formal language. If the topic is light and simple, he may use informal language.

Factors

Informal Language

Neutral Language

Formal Language

Setting

bar or hotel

bus stop shop

board meeting

Topic

football match

travel

business deal

Social relationship

friends, colleague

strangers,

senior colleague, teacher

Psychological attitude

relaxed, light-hearted

normal

very serious

v Types of formality of language:

a.     Informal Expression: Informal expressions are used with close friends, colleagues and family members. The speaker does not pay attention to the pronunciation, choice of words and sentence structure. Contracted forms(I'm, can't, hasn't), reduced forms(c'mon, fellas), and reduction of '-ing' (goin', doin') are used. For examples:

She goin' to America.

C'mon my boys.

I'm fine.

b.    Neutral Expression: Neutral expressions can be used where we can use formal or informal language. It does not matter who we are talking to or when or where. The participants cannot have strong feelings. For example: Thank you.

c.      Formal Expression: Formal expressions are used while talking to superiors. The speaker is psychologically very serious. For example, an employee talking to his employer. For example:

I would like to call upon Prof. Sharma to keep his opinion.

Difference between informal language and formal language:

Aspects

Informal Language

Formal language

Setting

informal

formal

Topic

informal

formal

Social relationship

personal

institutional

Psychological attitude

relaxed, light-hearted

serious

Use of contractions

frequently used

not commonly used

Use of diction

colloquial

standard

Unusual sentences

can be used

cannot be used

Use of reduced forms

can be used

cannot be used

 

1.1.2     Degree of Politeness: The state of showing good manners and respecting other's feelings is called politeness. It shows well-cultured people's behaviour too.

a.     Requesting Politely

Degree of Politeness

Examples

Lowest

Give me your pen.

Where’s the train station?

Lower

Lend me your pen.

Tell me where the train station is.

Low

Can I borrow your pen?

Could you tell me where the train station is, please?

High

Could I borrow your pen, please?

Could you tell me where the train station is, please?

Higher

Would you mind if I borrowed your pen?

Would you be able to tell me how to get to the train station?

Highest

I would really appreciate it if you could lend me your pen, if it’s not too much trouble."

I’m terribly sorry to trouble you, but would you mind telling me the way to the train station, if it’s not too much bother?

b.    Asking Permission Politely

·        Informal/Casual

Can I…?→ Can I borrow your book?

Is it okay if I…? → Is it okay if I sit here?

Do you mind if I…? → Do you mind if I take a break?

·        Neutral/Polite

Could I…?" → Could I use your phone for a moment?

Would it be all right if I…? → Would it be all right if I left a little early?

·        Formal/Very Polite

Would you mind if I…?→ Would you mind if I joined the meeting?

May I…?" → May I ask you a question?

Might I…?" → Might I suggest an alternative?(Very formal)

I hope you don’t mind if I…? → "I hope you don’t mind if I open the window.

I’d really appreciate it if I could…. → "I’d really appreciate it if I could take the afternoon off.

 

1.2Grammatical and Communicative Functions

1.2.1    Grammatical Functions: The role of a linguistic element in a larger linguistic structure is called grammatical function. It can be Subject, Predicate, Object, Adverbial and Complement.

P                 Come.

PA              Come soon.

SP               John cried.

SPA            John cried loudly.

PO              Take your breakfast.

SPO            John took his breakfast.

SPOA                   John took his breakfast quickly.

SPC            John is a teacher.

ASPC                   Sometimes he becomes a fool.

SPOC                   I regard Mr. Saud as my guru.

SAPOC       My brother often calls me Rame.

[Note: A- Adjunct, S-Subject, P-Predicate, O-Object, C-Complemet, ( )- optional ]

 

1.2.2    Communicative Functions: It refers to the purpose for which an utterance or a unit of language is used. Greeting, welcoming, congratulating, suggesting, praising, narrating, etc. are some of the communicative functions.

Communicative Functions

Examples

Greeting

Good morning! How are you today?

Welcoming

Welcome to our home! Make yourself comfortable.

Congratulating

Congratulations on your promotion! You truly deserve it.

Suggesting

How about watching a movie together this weekend?

Praising

You did an excellent job on this project. Well done!

Narrating

Last summer, I went on a trip to the mountains. It was an unforgettable experience.

Distinction between Grammatical and Linguistic Functions:

Grammatical Function

Communicative Function

It is the relationship between constituents/elements in a structure.

It is the purpose for which an utterance is used.

It takes place at sentence level.

It takes place at discourse level.

It is related to categories in sentences.

It is related to category of behaviour.

Its knowledge enriches linguistic competence in leaners.

Its knowledge enriches communicative competence.

 

 

1.3Form-Function Relations

·        Form: It refers to the linguistic structure that can be used by speakers. A linguistic form/structure can serve a number of communicative functions and vice versa. There is no one-to-one correspondence between the grammatical form and its communicative functions. For example:

 

·        Function: It refers to the purpose in which an utterance is used as a means of communication. It is the purpose for which language is used. Every linguistic form/item has contained function to serve. For example, function of ‘Good morning’ is greeting.

·        Relationship between Form and Function: The relationship between form and function is too complex because sometimes one form may have many functions and several forms may have one function conversely. So, the relationship between form and function is not clear cut. It means that there is no one-to-one correspondence between them. The relationship between them can be shown in the following ways.

a.     One form -one function:

Form

Function

Let me carry your bag.

Offering

I will bring money tomorrow.

Promising

Come to my wedding party.

Inviting

b.    One form- many functions:

Form

Function

Open the door.

Ordering

Open the door, please.

Requesting

Come to my home Saturday.

Inviting

Turn left from that junction.

Instructing

In the above examples, the sentences have the same form, i.e. imperative form, but they serve different functions.

c.      Many forms-one function:

Function

Forms

 

Requesting

Open the window please. (Imperative form)

Would you open the window? (Interrogative form)

I request you to open the window. (Declarative form)

Here, all examples serve the function of ‘requesting’ but they have different forms as indicated in the brackets.

1.4Communicative Functions and Their Exponents

The purpose for which an utterance is used is called a communicative function. Exponents are linguistic forms or structures or utterances used to serve the function.

Communicative Functions

Exponents

Greeting

Good morning! How are you today?

Hi there! It’s great to see you.

Hello! I hope you’re having a wonderful day.

Welcoming

Welcome to our home!

It’s a pleasure to have you here.

We’re so glad you could join us.

Congratulating

Congratulations on your promotion!

Well done on passing your exams!

Fantastic job on your performance! Keep up the great work.

Suggesting

Why don’t we go for a walk this evening?

You might want to try this new restaurant. The food is amazing.

How about watching a movie together this weekend?

1.4.1    Classification of Communicative Function

a.     Classification of Communicative Function according to Richards, Platt and Platt(1999):

i)                   Descriptive function: The function of language is to convey factual information. E.g. Water boils at 1000 C. Nepal lies in Asia.

ii)                Expressive function: The function of language is to express feelings, likes, dislikes and experiences. E.g. I am feeling unwell today.

iii)              Social Function: The function of language is to establish social relationship. E.g. How are you, sir?

b.     Classification of Communicative Function according to the British linguist Holiday:

i)                   Ideational Function: The function of language is to organize the speaker's or writer's experience of real or imaginary world. E.g. I had a terrible dream last night.

ii)                Interpersonal Function: The function of language is to establish or maintain social relationship. E.g. Congratulations on passing the exam, Rita.

iii)              Textual Function: The function of language is to create written of spoken texts with coherence. E.g.

Coherent Text

Incoherent Text

A: How are you?

B: I'm fine. How about you?

A: How are you?

B: I live in Palpa.

 

1.5Written and Oral Communication

Communication can be broadly classified into oral communication and written communication.

a.     Oral communication: It is the process of sharing information through spoken words. It can happen in person, over the phone, or through digital platforms like video calls. It allows for immediate feedback and helps people express their thoughts and emotions clearly. For examples: a conversation between friends, teacher explaining a lesson, phone call, speech or presentation, etc.

b.    Written communication: It is the process of sharing information using written words. It can be in the form of letters, emails, reports, or text messages. Written communication is useful for keeping records, providing detailed information, and ensuring clarity, but it may take longer to receive a response. For examples: writing a letter, sending an email, a newspaper article, a text message, etc.

 

Distinction between written and oral communication

Oral Communication

Written Communication

It has limited number of participants.

It has relatively more participants.

It uses phonic symbols(sounds).

It uses graphic symbols(alphabets).

It is more informal.

It is more formal.

It is mainly dialogic.

It is mainly monologue.

It is less durable.

It is more durable.

It is loosely structured.

It is well structured.

It is syntactically simple.

It is syntactically complex.

It uses simple and usual vocabulary.

It uses complex vocabulary.

It is spontaneous/natural.

It is planned/less natural.

It is event oriented.

It is argument oriented.

Participants can share the physical proximity(nearness).

Participants can be varied and scattered.

 

 

 

 

Unit II: Language Functions: About Information (10)

2.1Asking for Information

We often need to ask questions to get information in daily life. We should ask in a clear and polite way. Knowing how to ask questions correctly helps in conversations at work, school, and travel.

Ways to ask for information

Responses/answering techniques

·  Do you know the way to the Ranimahal?

·  Have you got any idea about the opening time of the bank?

·  Do you happen to know about .......

·  Can you tell me how to go to the airport?

·  Could you tell me the way to the hospital?

·  I wonder if you could tell me where Mr. Dhami lives?

·  Would you mind telling me the way to the airport?

· Of course. I will tell/show you......

· Yes, of course. Let me ...

· Well, let me think for a moment.

· I'm not sure about it.

· I'm terribly sorry. I really don't know.

· I'm afraid. I have no idea.

· I'd rather not answer that, if you don't mind.

 

2.2Asking if someone knows about something

Ways to ask if someone knows about something

Responses/answering techniques

·  Do you know anything about the stock market?

·  Do you happen to know about global warming?

·  Have you heard about Donald Trump?

·  Have you got any idea about this machine?

·  Could you give me any information about the Ranimahal?

·  I wonder if you could tell me something about foreign employment.

· Of course, I'll tell you.

· Well, let me see ...

· Oh, let me think for a moment.

· I'm not sure. I will have to find out.

· I can't tell you off-hand, I'm afraid.

· I'm terribly sorry. I really don't know.

· I'd rather not answer that, if you don't mind.

 

2.3Saying you know/do not know about something

Ways of expressing presence of knowledge

Ways of expressing absence of knowledge

·  I know it, thanks.

·  I do know about it, thanks.

·  I've already heard about it.

·  I understand it.

·  I have heard it on good authority. (very formal)

·  I've adequate idea about it.

·    I don't know it.

·    I don't think I know.

·    Beats me.

·    Who knows?

·    I have no idea.

·    That's beyond me.

·    That's a new one on me.

·    Don't ask me. (rude)

·    Search me. (rude)

·    I haven't got a clue. (rude)

·    I'm afraid. I have to say I know very little.

Example:

A husband and wife are talking about a friend who recently committed suicide. They can't understand. Compose a dialogue in about 7/8 exchanges.

Husband and Wife Talking About Their Friend's Suicide

Husband     : Have you heard about Mark?

Wife            : No, what happened?

Husband     : He took his own life yesterday. I still can’t believe it.

Wife            : Oh my God! That’s terrible. Do you have any idea why he did that?

Husband     : Not really. I heard he was struggling with some problems, but I don’t know the details.

Wife            : I wonder if he told anyone about what he was going through.

Husband     : I don’t think so. If he had, maybe someone could have helped him.

Wife            : I just can’t understand why he didn’t reach out for support.

Husband     : Me neither. It’s beyond me. I wish we had noticed something earlier.

Wife            : Yes, maybe we could have done something. This is so sad.

 

2.4Reminding

Ways of reminding

Responses/answering techniques

·  Remind yourself.

·  Please, remember to call her.

·  Please, don't forget to call her.

·  I would like to remind you to call me at 6 am tomorrow?

·  You won't forget to call her, will you?

·  May I remind you to do it?(formal)

·  I should like to remind you to post it. (formal)

·  If you remember to go there, it'll be better. (very formal)

·  Don't worry. It's on my list.

·  It's all right. I have got a note of it.

·  It's okay. I will do it. Don't worry.

·  Oh yes, of course. I'll complete it on time.

Example:

You are talking with your younger brother who is going to market. You are reminding him 7 things to do. Write a dialogue in about 7/8 exchanges.

Reminding my brother about tasks at the market

I                  : Hey, before you go, let me remind you of a few things.

Brother       : Yeah, sure. What do you need?

I                  : First, don’t forget to buy some milk. We ran out this morning.

Brother       : Got it. What else?

I                  : Please remember to get some bread and eggs too.

Brother       : Okay, milk, bread, and eggs. Anything else?

I                  : Yes, could you also pick up some vegetables? And don’t forget to check the prices before buying.

Brother       : Right, vegetables and check the prices.

I                  : Also, remind yourself to bring back the change. Last time, you forgot!

Brother       : Haha, I know! I won’t forget this time. Anything else?

I                  : Just one last thing, make sure to buy some snacks for yourself.

Brother       : Oh, nice! I’ll definitely remember that. Don’t worry!

 

2.5Asking About Remembering

Ways to ask about remembering

·     Do you remember what you said yesterday?

·     You remember it, don't you?

·     You haven't forgotten about it, have you?

·     You can't have forgotten it.

·     Can you remember the trip?

·     Do you by any chance remember it?

·     I wonder if you remember our last trip to Pokhara.

 

2.6Saying You Remember

Ways to say you remember

·     Yes, I remember it vividly.

·     I will never forget it.

·     I will always remember.

·     I remember quite clearly.

·     If I remember correctly, you arrived on 15th December.

·     If I am not mistaken, he has phoned her.

·     If my memory serves me right, he was not there.

·     As I remember/recall it, .....

·     I have some recollections of our journey to Mustang.

 

2.7Saying You Have Forgotten

Ways to say you have forgotten

·  I'm afraid. I have forgotten to call him.

·  I'm sorry. I have completely forgotten.

·  I don't remember......

·  I really can't remember ......

·  It's shipped my mind.

·  Sorry, my mind has gone blank.

·  I must admit/confess. I don't remember anything....

·  I'm sorry. I have no memory/recollection of ....

 

2.8Asking if Someone/Something is Correct

Ways to ask if someone is correct

·        Is this right, please?

·        Could you tell me if it is right/correct?

·        Is it right that you got a US citizenship?

·        Am I right?

·        Would you mind telling me if that's correct, please?

·        Would that be right?

·        I'd like to check if it is right?

 

2.9Saying Someone is Correct/Not

Ways to say someone is correct

Ways to say someone is not correct

·        Yes, that's right.

·        Yes, that's quite right.

·        Yes, that's correct.

·        Nothing wrong with that.

·        That's all right.

·        Exactly.

·        It's perfectly correct.

·        I'm sure you are right about it.

·        Sorry, it's not right.

·        I'm afraid. That's not quite right.

·        Sorry, that's all wrong.

·        You have got it all wrong.

·        No, that's all wrong.

·        Nonsense/Rubbish.

·        I'm sorry there is some misunderstanding here.

·        You are mistaken.

·        I think the information you have must be corrected.

 

2.10       Correcting Someone

Ways for correcting someone

·        Well, in fact he went to the USA, not Canada.

·        But, I was not at that party.

·        As far as I know she lives in London currently.

·        Well, as a matter of fact, she was a doctor, not a lawyer.

·        Hold on a minute. Radio Nepal was established in 2007 B.S.

·        If I may, I would like to correct it. ....

·        I think it might be more accurate to say that Prachanda was the first PM of republican Nepal.

 

Unit III: Language Functions: About Attitudes (30)

3.1Asking if someone is sure about

Ways for asking if someone is sure about

Asking about certainty:

·  Are you sure?

·  Are you certain?

·  Is it certain that he will pass the exam?

·  How sure are you that our picnic is going to be successful?

Asking about doubt:

·  Do you doubt my love for you?

·  Is there any doubt that he will fail the exam?

·  You seem to have any doubt about it?

·  Do you have any qualms about doing business with me?

 

3.2Saying you are sure/not sure

Expressing certainty

Expressing uncertainty

·  Completely/Absolutely.

·  I'm sure.

·  No doubt about it.

·  Rest assured, it's a good deal.

·  I'm convinced about it.

·  Surely, it's obvious.

·  I'm little uncertain.

·  I have some doubt about it.

·  I'm not sure.

·  I have some reservation about going to picnic.

·  I'm in two minds about this.

·  I'm not at all convinced.

·  I can't make up my mind whether to go picnic or not.

 

3.3Saying what you think is possible or impossible

3.4Talking about what might happen

3.5Asking how someone feels before/after something happens

3.6Saying you are curious

3.7Saying what you hope will happen

3.8Saying what you want

3.9Saying you are looking forward to something

3.10 Saying you are optimistic/pessimistic

3.11 Saying you are worried or afraid

3.12 Expressing surprise

3.13 Saying you are pleased/displeased/relieved

3.14 Saying you approve/do not approve

3.15 Saying you are excited/disappointed/bored

3.16 Asking about/ expressing likes/dislikes

3.17 Asking about preference

3.18 Saying what you prefer

3.19 Asking if someone approves

3.20 Comparing

3.21 Saying something is not important

3.22 Asking someone’s opinion

3.23 Giving your opinion

3.24 Saying you have no opinion/Avoiding giving opinion

3.25 Trying to change someone’s opinion

3.26 Asking if someone is interested

3.27 Saying you are interested/not interested

3.28 Giving

3.29 Agreeing/disagreeing

3.30 Saying you are wrong and someone else is right

3.31 Saying you have reached agreement

 

Unit IV: Language Functions: About action (20)

4.1Offering to do something for someone

4.2Accepting/refusing an offer or help

4.3Saying what you think you ought to do/not to do

4.4Saying you intend/do not intend to do something

4.5Asking if someone is able to do something

4.6Saying you are able/not able to do

4.7Asking for permission

4.8Giving/refusing permission

4.9Asking if you are obliged to do something

4.10       Saying someone is obliged to do something

4.11       Saying someone must/need not do something

4.12       Telling someone to do something

4.13       Telling someone how to do something

4.14       Advising, Warning, Suggesting, Requesting, Encouraging, Persuading, Complaining, Threatening

4.15       Saying you are willing/unwilling to do something

4.16       Refusing to do something

 

Unit V: Language Functions: Social formulas (25) 5.1 Starting a conversation with a stranger 5.2 Introducing yourself/someone 5.3 Answering an introduction 5.4 Attracting someone’s attention 5.5 Greeting 5.6 Asking how someone is 5.7 Saying how you are 5.8 Giving good wishes/responding to good wishes 5.9 Proposing a toast 5.10 Inviting someone 5.11 Accepting/declining an invitation 5.12 Offering something 5.13 Accepting/declining an offer 5.14 Giving something to someone 5.15 Thanking 5.16 Responding to thanks 5.17 Congratulating/complimenting 5.18 Responding to congratulations/compliments 5.19 Saying sorry 5.20 Accepting an apology 5.21 Showing sympathy 5.22 Expressing condolence 5.23 Leaving someone politely for a short time 5.24 Ending a conversation 5.25 Saying goodbye 5.26 Welcoming 5.27 Addressing 5.28 Announcing

 

Unit VI: Language Functions: Making communication work(10) 6.1 Asking someone to say something again 6.2 Checking that you have/someone has understood 6.3 Saying something again 6.4 Saying something in another way 6.5 Giving an example 6.6 Showing you are listening 6.7 Taking up a point 6.8 Giving yourself time to think 6.9 Changing the subject 6.10 Summing up

Unit VII: Language Functions: Imparting Factual Information (10) 7.1 Identifying persons/objects 7.2 Describing objects/persons/actions/ processes 7.3 Describing uses and purposes 7.4 Narrating actions/events/experiences 7.5 Reporting/quoting 7.6 Correcting oneself/others 7.7 Illustrating things 7.8 Expressing intentions/plans

Unit VIII: Language Functions: Finding out about language(5) 8.1 Finding out about punctuation 8.2 Finding out about spelling 8.3 Finding out about correctness 8.4 Finding out about meaning 8.5 Finding out about appropriateness

 

Unit IX: Written Communication (30)

9.1Communing in everyday life

a.     Business letter

b.    Job application

c.      Greeting card and invitation,

d.    Email and SMS

e.      Notice and Minute

f.      Report

g.     Narrative, Description, Exposition and Argument,

h.    Presentation

9.2Getting the message across

a.     Audience

b.    Subject

c.      Purpose

d.    Time and place

9.3The writing process

a.     Planning and research

b.    Writing, drafting and revising

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class 12 Optional English 11 Sets Past Paper(2078-2081) Solution

 Class 12 Optional English 11 Sets Past Paper Solution   CDC Model Question 2078 Optional English Grade: XII                                 Time: 3 Hours                      Full Marks: 75 Group-A Choose and copy the best answer. (11×1=11) 1.      What is a dead language?                 i.    A language no longer used in everyday life.               ii.    A language that no one speaks any more.            iii.    A language that is learnt solely for ceremonial p...

Who was Khaptad Baba? (Biography) by Ganesh B. Dhami

Khaptad Baba Khaptad Swami or Khaptad Baba was an eremite who is reported to one day have come to the Khaptad plateau of western Nepal from Punjab, India during 1940s in his 60s. Yet, some historians argue that h e had come from Pakistan since some of his writings are written in Urdu. Much about the origin and background of Khaptad Swami is shrouded in mystery. Some speculate that he was a medical doctor trained in England. It is rumored that when he was practicing in a hospital, he was astonished by some miracles of life and death phenomenon, like a declared dead person revived, which was almost impossible from the perspective of modern science. He was once, desperately trying to save the life of a child. But minute by minute, the child was going towards the dark cave of the death. He found himself utterly helpless. Then, a hermit came in his town of Jammu-Kashmir with Himalayan herbs and power of Yoga, saved the life of that child. After that incident, he kne...

Abiku(poem) by Wole Soyinka

  Abiku -Wole Soyinka "Abiku" is a poem by Wole Soyinka that explores the Yoruba concept of the abiku, a spirit child who is born repeatedly to the same mother, only to die young and return to the spirit world. The poem is rich in imagery, symbolism, and Yoruba cultural references. Summary of Abiku The poem is narrated by the abiku itself, who speaks with a sense of pride and defiance. It declares that no matter how many sacrifices or rituals are performed, it will continue to return and die again. The abiku describes its familiarity with suffering, hunger, and the pain of its repeated existence. It seems to challenge the efforts of its parents to keep it alive, suggesting that it is beyond human control. Themes in Abiku a.      Fate and Destiny – The abiku is trapped in a cycle of birth and death, suggesting that some things are beyond human influence. b.      The Supernatu...